Applications and enrolment
  • If you are an Australian citizen or meet the Australian residency criteria, you need to submit an online application for the Course you are interested in, formally enrol at a campus and pay your fees before you can start your course. 
  • If you are an international student, there is a different application and enrolment process. See the International section for details. 

All students must enrol and pay for their course prior to commencement of training.

If you need assistance to complete your application form you can visit any of our campuses, or phone 13TAFE. If you need assistance to attend the selection process you should "check" this flag during the online application process. 

The application and enrolment process

​Once you have identified the course you are interested in, you can apply online by clicking on the Apply Now button on the course information page. 

What information is required on the application form? 
What are pre-requisites? 
What happens after I have submitted my application? 
What is selection? 
What information is required during the selection process? 
What happens after selection? 
Paying your fees? 
What you need to bring with you?
What are my obligations as a student?

What information is required on the application form?

In order to process your application you will be required to submit information about yourself including some personal information like your year of birth, your previous study, your address. This information is used by Bendigo TAFE to assess your application for study and your eligibility for a government subsidy. All information is collected in accordance with Bendigo TAFE's Privacy Policy and the Victorian Government's Victorian VET Student Statistical Collection Guidelines.

As part of the application process you will be asked to check the Privacy Declaration which includes a declaration confirming your consent to collect such information and that the information you have provided about yourself, your previous study or existing qualifications and your individual circumstances is correct. If any information is later found to be incorrect, your enrolment and/or fee calculation may be invalid.

More details about completing the application form can be found here.

What are pre-requisites?

Some courses have pre-requisites.  Pre-requisites are previous work experience, study or tests that you must have undertaken before you can enter a course. Pre-requisites are clearly identified in the course information.  You will be asked to state how you have completed any pre-requisites on your application form and you must be able to prove that you have undertaken or completed any pre-requisites during the selection process. The application form includes a document upload function, or you can bring copies with you during selection.

What happens after I have submitted my application?

Once we receive your application you will receive an acknowledgement with a reference number. You should refer to this number in any correspondence or communication with Bendigo TAFE.

We will then process your application.  Processing time is dependent on the course you are applying for but we will keep you informed of progress.

What is selection?

All courses either have a selection entry enrolment or direct entry enrolment. This is clearly identified in the course information detail for each course. 

  • Direct entry enrolment means on receipt of your application you can be enrolled automatically in the chosen course once payment has been received.  This is subject to course and places availability.  Some courses have pre-requisites that you must meet before you can be considered for enrolment. 
  • Selection entry enrolment means that you cannot enrol in a course until you have been through the selection process and received a letter of offer.  Selection is based on the principle that students will be able to satisfactorily complete or achieve a satisfactory outcome in the chosen course of study.  Selection may include an individual or group interview, providing a portfolio or examples of completed work or undertaking a test. 

What information is required during the selection process?

You will need to bring evidence to demonstrate that you have met any pre-requisites including any required tests, and results transcript of all previous study or qualifications achieved.  This is required to confirm previous study for any pre-requisites, or if you want to transfer credits from another course or institution or want to apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL).

What happens after selection?

We’ll advise you whether your application is successful by a letter of offer.  Once you have received a letter of offer, you can enrol in the course and pay your fees at the information centre at any of our campuses.  If you are under 18, you will need parental/guardian consent to enrol. If you are under 17 you must bring your evidence of exemption from school with you.

If you have not been successful you may be able to apply for an alternative course.  We will advise you of this.

Paying your fees?

Your place in the course is confirmed once you have paid your fees.  We accept:  

  • cash
  • cheque or money order made payable to Bendigo TAFE
  • EFTPOS (check that you won’t exceed your daily withdrawal limit)
  • Mastercard or Visa credit cards.
  • Direct Debit

No student may enrol in any course of study or receive any certificates or awards of the Board while any fees, charges, loans, library books or other borrowed resources are outstanding.  Only the Chief Executive Officer may waive this requirement.

See further information about fee assistance including VET Student loans.

If you cannot enrol in a direct entry course in person, we accept cheques, money orders, credit card over the phone and direct debit.  

What you need to bring with you at enrolment?

When you enrol you must bring your original or certified copies of all documentation.  You must provide all requested information on your online/hard copy application form or hard copy at enrolment. If requested information is not provided, your enrolment will not proceed. If any information provided is later found to be incorrect, your enrolment and/or fees charged may be invalid. 

Enrolment Documents​ ​


Your letter of offer​ (not required if you are an apprentice or trainee).


If you are under 18, you will need parental/guardian consent to enrol. If you are under 17 you must bring your evidence of exemption from school with you.


Health care card, concession cards, Visa details or other evidence of your eligibility for a government subsidy or discounted fees.​


An Evidence of Student Eligibility and Student Declaration form

An original or certified copy of one of the following (for more information on authorised persons for certifying copies see above form):
 An Australian Birth Certificate (not birth extract)
 A current Australian Passport
 A current New Zealand Passport
 An Australian Citizenship Certificate
 A Current green Medicare Card
 Australian Certificate of Registration by Descent
 A proxy declaration for individual in exceptional circumstances as per Eligibility guidelines;
 Formal confirmation of permanent residence granted by Department of Home Affairs (or its successor) AND the student's foreign passport or immicard
 a Referral to Government Subsidised Training - Asylum Seekers' form from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre or the Australian Red Cross

5 ​If the document provided from the list above does not include a date of birth and this is relevant to your eligibility for a government funded place you will need to bring one of the following:

 A current drivers licence; or
 A current learner permit; or
 A Proof of Age card; or
 A ‘Keypass’ card


Signed letter of authority or purchase order from your employer or any other third party paying or contributing to your enrolment fees confirming that they have agreed to pay your fees and requesting an invoice be sent to them.​


If you plan to apply for VET Student loans you need to have a tax file number as you will need this to complete your eCAF once enrolled, and citizenship documents such as:

  • for Australian citizens - passport, birth certificate or official extract of birth certificate, or Australian citizenship certificate
  • for Permanent Humanitarian Visa holders you need to bring evidence of your visa


For qualifying New Zealand citizens you must hold a special visa category, such as the New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV);

  • has been usually resident in Australia for at least 10 years;
  • was a dependent child when he or she was first usually resident in Australia;
  • has been in Australia for periods totalling 8 years during the previous 10 years; and
  • has been in Australia for periods totalling 18 months during the previous 2 years.


If you want to apply for recognition of prior learning, you must provide evidence of your experience or previous study to support your claim.  It is not possible to award part units as RPL.  ​


Results transcripts so that any prior study can be recognised. There is no fee for units that you will receive a credit transfer for so they need to be identified before your course fees are calculated.  ​